Skip to main content

The Philippines and the UNIVERSE


Filipinos are notable beauty pageant connoisseurs. We are the only country can consider beauty contest as our national sport. 😂

I think everyone I know - gay or straight watches the Ms. Universe live telecast. It is one of the most anticipated event every year that viewership would equal or sometimes exceed Manny Paquiao's boxing title fights. It is quite ironic because basketball is considered our national sports. Nationwide participation is more present in the Ms. Universe than professional basketball.

We have our own local version of Ms. Universe contest during our barangay fiestas. Which becomes more of a comedy show because participants are gay and transwoman members of the community. Contestants are parading their versions of Ms. Universe and even celebrities look alike. Entertainment like this is quite simply original Filipino. 

Filipinos solidarity for their candidate is a force to reckon with. We are always a top candidate in online voting. I can see people reposting posts calling people to vote for our candidate in droves on social media platform. Support like that can be very useful if we put that same effort politically. 😂

The recent social media backlash on the 2023 Ms. Universe held in  El Salvador perceived fiasco on the Top 5 candidates finalist stirred controversy. Some saying  that it was more of a cooking show (luto ang laban) instead of beauty pageant. Probably to a lot of Filipino fans thought it was rigged because this year's candidate showed the same level of competency as the previous winners from our country. Filipino fans had high hope that Michelle would be the next Filipina to win the title. 

But we didn't win. That showed the ugly sides of Filipino fans like a faithful lover scorned. 

Popular posts from this blog

72 Hour Emergency Kit

  72 Hour Kit Bag 72-Hour Emergency Kit Checklist A 72-hour emergency kit (also known as a "bug-out bag" or "go bag") is designed to provide essential supplies for you and your family to survive at least three days during a disaster, when help may not arrive immediately. Based on recommendations from trusted sources like Ready.gov and the American Red Cross, assemble one kit per person (including children and pets), plus extras for home, work, and your car. Store items in a waterproof, easy-to-carry container like a backpack or duffel bag. Update the kit every six months—check expiration dates on food, medications, and batteries when you change your clocks. Here's a comprehensive checklist organized by category. Prioritize the basics first, then add family-specific items. Water 1 gallon per person per day (minimum 3 gallons total per person)**: For drinking and sanitation. Store in sealed bottles or use collapsible containers. Water purification tablets or a fil...

so here we are... again

       Who would have thought we come this far? I have been thinking in starting this blog again lately. I'm not sure what to post and what will be interesting to do myself.      After the pandemic, there were lot of things that are nice to write about as short blog entry. Tidbits. Maybe less than 500 words. I will write short pieces to make it more readable or digestible for anyone who is interested to read.      Most of us did suffer existential crisis during the pandemic. I felt the greatest fear of my life. I was afraid that I might catch Covid19 and die alone. Have you felt the same?       I'd been living alone for most of my adulthood. Yea, I never thought of getting extra baggage like having a relationship or two. But I don't.      I'm a fur parent and certified plant lover. It came about during the pandemic that I got into plants.       I was a fur parent to Milo. He was pure...

covid19 to me...

how are you doing in this time of pandemic? first of all, hope we are all well and surviving this pandemic in god's grace. i never expected the impact of this pandemic to my life would be really great. i lost my job and source of income at the onset of the community quarantine. i relied on other people's help and my meager savings to weather the few months into the pandemic. i was uncertain what the future would bring.  covid19 brought so many changes to our lives from the way we socialize to the manner of how we work. the virus changed the landscape of our society - no gatherings, standing a meter away from the other person in public and common spaces, wearing face mask and face shield for protection, etc. working from home became the norm. though i'd been working from home for almost seven years already, i'd never seen this situation where almost all the people i know were force to work at home due to covid19. new normal   i lost my job and can't find one for over...